Sunday, April 29, 2007

'The Glass Bottom Boat' print ad, 1966

From the film's plot summary at the imdb listing;

"Jennifer Nelson and Bruce Templeton meet when Bruce reels in her mermaid suit, leaving Jennifer bottomless in the waters off Catalina Island. She later discovers that Bruce is the big boss at her work (a research lab). Bruce hires Jennifer to be his biographer, only to try and win her affections. There's a problem; Bruce's friend, General Wallace Bleeker believes she's a Russian spy and has her surveillanced. But when Jennifer catches on...Watch out!"

Let's see here, height of the '60's 'spy' craze, Frank Tashlin directs, that works...

...also starring John McGiver, Paul Lynde, Dom DeLuise, Dick Martin... Oh, okay - - Edward Andrews, right...

Who else... huh. Ellen Corby, wow, Florence Halop...

... AND an uncredited cameo from Robert Vaughn AS Napoleon Solo!?!

I may have to put this in my queue!

Sounds ripe for a bad remake, too. Top of my head, I'd say Kate Hudson and Owen Wilson.
Special appearances by Pierce Brosnan and Andy Dick.

Don't say you weren't warned...


ADDENDUM 6/3/07 - - Just an FYI. When I posted this, and up until a few moments ago, I was completely unaware of the term 'Glass Bottom Boat' becoming a modern slang term pertaining to a small variety of certain sexual practices. Wow. What a funny old world.

It could certainly add a new wrinkle to that imagined movie remake, I suppose...

Thanks, Urban Slang Dictionary. I'm all for more picturesque speech, but my curiousity might likely end there.

1 comment:

Craig D said...

My family saw this on a double-bill at a drive-in back in the 'sixties. I have NO IDEA what it was about, though, as I invariably fell asleep after the cartoons and coming attractions.

Freshly-stirred links