Monday, April 30, 2007

Spaghetti Head - Big Noise From Winnetka b/w Funky Axe (1975)

Can't say that I know much of anything about the band Spaghetti Head. I'd welcome some info, if you have it.

I bought this 45 back in the mid-'70's, when I was about twelve years old. It was in a 'mystery grab bag' of singles at the record store. You didn't know what you'd get, but for a buck you were assured that at least four of the dozen or so discs in your blind purchase would be 'Top 40 hits'. Not sure I remember what else I got, but I have no complaints.

I gather that now this 45 is a bit sought after by club deejays as breakbeat fodder. What a funny world.

The instrumental classic 'Big Noise From Winnetka' had first become a big hit in 1938, as recorded by bassist Bob Haggart and drummer Ray Bauduc, when they were members of Bob Crosby's Bobcats.


Listen to:
Spaghetti Head - Big Noise From Winnetka
(click for audio)

Listen to:Spaghetti Head - Funky Axe
(click for audio)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I where searching for "Funky Axe" since allmost around 10 years - thank you very much that due to you I could listen to one of my favorite songs since such a long time!

Great!
Greetings from Austria

The In Crowd said...

ATT'N Micko from Australia - -

Thanks for your comment.

E-mail me (JL dot incrowd at gmail dot com) with your address and I can likely accommodate...

Toby. land of Oz said...

Thanks for sharing this, I just heard it the for the first time on Mr Scruff's awesome mix CD 'Keep it Solid Steel' (check it out if you don't already have it...). One of the best things about that album is the liner notes, which tell the story of each track and include the cover art - well, Mr Scruff's copy of 'Funky Axe' has a handwritten addition which reads "A ECOUTER TRES TRES TRES FORT," so I took the unnamed music lover's advice and turned my headphones up as FORT as they go... and I'm a better person for it. Thanks again - and I _will_ be DJing with your recording as soon as I get in front of an audience again!

Freshly-stirred links