Friday, May 25, 2007

Sterling Holloway meets Disney's The Grasshopper and The Ants - The World Owes Me A Living, 1962

This is one of the first records I ever owned. The copyright date on the 45's sleeve says 1962, which makes sense.

Adapted from Aesop's fable, the Disney studios first released 'The Grasshopper and The Ants' in 1934, as one of its Silly Symphonies.

It introduced 'The World Owes Me A Living', as sung in the cartoon by Pinto Colvig .

Colvig was also the voice of Goofy (and later, Bozo The Clown), and the song would become Goofy's unofficial theme song.
(It was also covered by Shirley Temple that same year)

I'm going to guess and say that the '34 cartoon was either re-issued around 1962, or more likely, it was shown on the Sunday night 'The Wonderful World of Disney' TV series.

Regardless, this little kiddie 45 version doesn't quite do justice to the cartoon or Aesop. In this version of the song, the grasshopper (voiced by a Pinto Colvig stand-in) eventually agrees that maybe the ants were right about a prosperous life requiring hard work, but it's not a convincing statement.

On the B-side however, the beloved Sterling Holloway (pictured below reading a *different* story) tells the story more in depth - - only not really. He tells about how carefree and fun-loving the grasshopper is, alludes to the notion that it might get him into trouble one day, but that's it.

No comeuppance, no moral - - heck, it's not even really a story, just a brief character sketch.

It's almost as if - just like the grasshopper - they didn't want to do the work, figured that it was just a kiddie record and everything would just work out okay. Works for me.

I guess I learned my lesson for today, how about you?

Listen to: The Grasshopper and The Ant - The World Owes Me A Living (click for audio)

Listen to: Sterling Holloway - The Story of Hop, The Grasshopper (click for audio)

3 comments:

Gavin Elster said...

Holy crap Ive been looking for this. Thank you! It was one of my first records too.

Anonymous said...

I love this story! I think my sister still has the LP, probably scratched to heck!

I was disappointed I can't listen to the entire story. Is there a way to access it online?

Anonymous said...

lawdy! i had the whole 33 1/3 album, no one seems to have that anymore...thanks for the 45 though! WHOA great! RaM

Freshly-stirred links