Friday, May 18, 2007

Reasons To Be Cheerful: week of 05/18/07

1. Carrot cake ice cream. Specifically, carrot cake milkshakes.
No, no, not for everyday, but...

2. British cartoonist Hunt Emerson.
When I first started reading underground comix back in the late seventies, I'm sure he was among my favorite artists from the get-go. The mixture of detailed clarity and playful fluidity in his lines just stands out. Thrilling and fun. Over the many years I've continued to grab whatever work of his I can find.

Max Zillion, Large Cow Comix, Calculus Cat, Firkin...

His literature adaptations, strips in The Fortean Times, and yeah, his album covers, etc. for The English Beat didn't hurt either.

Just this week I've finally gotten my hands on a copy of one of his more recent (at least here in the US) collections;
'Pilgrim & Son in The Festival Ritual'.
("Comical and hallucinatory tales of an addled old hippie by Britain's favourite addled old underground cartoonist") Splendid loopy stories originally published between 1988 - 2003.

3. Stumbling upon further new diversions online.

In poking around the web looking for more Hunt Emerson stuff to point you towards, I was pleased to discover My Home Library bookplates. It's a British site designed to help children get excited about reading.

There are dozens of different bookplate images and bookmarks that can be printed for kids to use with their own book collections.

There's a variety of printable artwork from top contemporary children's book illustrators as well as an assortment of Brit cartoonists. How surprisingly sensible!

...But enough of sensible. Go play with Morph Thing.

(rest your cursor on these images to identify the 'parents')

In addition to blending famous faces from their library (apparently I'm a geezer, 'cuz I don't know half of those people), you can register to upload your own photos to turn into freakish amalgam creatures. Whee!


Artist Kristan Horton's Dr. Strangelove Dr. Strangelove recreates images from the Stanley Kubrick Film in a series of photographs using everyday objects. (via The Morning News)

...More! More!

No comments:

Freshly-stirred links