Friday, July 6, 2007

Reasons To Be Cheerful: week of 07/06/07

1. Summer heatwaves with record-breaking temperatures can't last forever. At least not yet.


2. Patton Oswalt has a new stand-up comedy CD, 'Werewolves and Lollipops', due to be released any minute now.

I'm excited.
I've seen him live a couple of times, I loved the previous CDs, always happy to see him show up in movies or on TV shows, even tired sitcoms.

What can I say - - I'm a fan.

See also:
Patton's official website,
and at MySpace




3. Speaking of the voice of Patton, 'Ratatouille' worked perfectly for me.

Pixar continues to find new amazing ground to break technologically, and they continue to let those visual effects take a back seat to telling a great little story.

Similarly, they're still letting superb vocal performances speak for themselves, without milking the recognizable-celebrity-voice factor. (However, I'd like to get Peter O'Toole's ending soliloquy/review on my alarm clock.)

Hey, and if you click this link (or my identical permanent YouTube 'vlog' link in the sidebar) you can check out director Brad Bird's original 1987 'Family Dog' TV episode of "Amazing Stories".

The videos (three segments) should likely still be near the top of the stack, as of this writing.

Fun animation from Brad Bird, waaaaaay before 'Ratatouille', 'The Incredibles' or "The Iron Giant'.

4. I just picked up the second volume of the 'Soul Sides' CD compilation series, curated by fellow-former-KALX-DJ Oliver Wang.

I'm a sucker for a good cover version of a favorite old tune, and that's where O-Dub's choices have gone this time.

Check out 'Soul Sides Vol. 2: The Covers' at the Zealous Records website. You can audition the tracks there, as well.

5. "No man with a good car needs to be justified!"
- Hazel Motes

It's a sad statement that the film 'Wise Blood' still has not yet had an official release on DVD.

Director John Huston's 1979 adaptation of Flannery O'Connor's novel was a pitch-black satire on religion, shot almost entirely in Macon, Georgia.

It features a stellar performance from Brad Dourif, in a rare leading role, with great character turns from Ned Beatty, Amy Wright and Harry Dean Stanton.

THE GOOD NEWS is; if we can't yet find the movie on DVD, we can now at least watch 'Wise Blood' online.

Some kind soul has uploaded the entire film from their old vhs copy to 'video.google.com'

It'll have to do for now, and beggars can't be choosers, I guess.

Check it out, and remember to shake hands with Gonga.

3 comments:

Skipper Bartlett said...

No man with a good car needs to wory about nuthin'! Thanks so much for letting everyone know about this movie. I've been dying to see it ever since I read the book!

sugarbat said...

I've been staggering through this blog for the past hour and a half, in total gaga. This post/link is the straw that makes me want to lick your face. You're the reason I invented all the internets.

The In Crowd said...

SUGARBAT!

You've made my day, thanks.

You're not quite the reason I started this blog, but you're exactly the reason I continue it.

Drop in anytime!

Freshly-stirred links