Friday, August 3, 2007

Lainie Kazan - several tracks from 'Love Is Lainie' (1967), plus one small Kirby connection

Singer / actress Lainie Kazan has had a well-rounded career throughout her 45+ years in show business.

She'd already had a couple of small appearances on Broadway in the early 1960's when she served as Barbra Streisand's understudy in 'Funny Girl'.
A handful of performances standing in for Streisand gained her significant attention, and her subsequent nightclub appearances led to a string of LPs, and numerous film and TV appearances throughout the sixties and beyond.

Her significant film acting career began in 1982, when she was cast both in 'My Favorite Year' and 'One from the Heart'.
In the '90's she reprised her role in 'My Favorite Year' in a musical stage version.

In recent years she continues apace with live performances, recording, and character roles on TV and in movies. Go Lainie!

There's more info about Lainie Kazan (and photos, too) available at her homepage. (click for link)

Here's a few choice cuts from one of my personal favorites of her albums, a nice sixties' artifact. A few Burt Bacharach covers, a couple of breathy spoken-word renditions of Rod McKuen poems, and Bobbie Gentry's 'An Angel Died'. Tommy Tedesco guitar, Bud Shank on sax. I especially love the low-rumble anxious quality to the arrangement for The Rascals' 'How Can I Be Sure'. Almost... ominous...?

From Lainie Kazan's 'Love Is Lainie' LP,
(MGM Records, 1967), Listen to:

The Look Of Love
When I Look Into Your Eyes
Night Song
An Angel Died
They Don't Give Medals (To Yesterday's Heroes)
How Can I Be Sure
Flower Child
Windows Of The World
Song Without Words

(click for audio)

- - OR download all 9 tracks in one 27.6 Mb zipfile.













Honestly, I wasn't looking for any sort of a comics-connection angle to incorporate into this posting, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find one as I was googling about and preparing some notes.

Turns out Ms. Kazan had a role in the creation of one of my favorite characters from 'King' Jack Kirby's 'Fourth World' period at DC Comics; Big Barda of the Female Furies, first appearing in the pages of 'Mister Miracle'.

(Comics scan from 'The Big Barda Drinking Game' at Lady, That's My Skull.) ➔

Here's the quote from Kirby hisorian Mark Evanier, from a 'Jack FAQ' page at his POV Online:

"Jack based some of his characters (not all) on people in his life or in the news...though often, the connection would be lost as the character evolved. That is to say, once the story was done, only Jack would be able to see any trace of the model...and sometimes, even he would lose track of how a character came about.
"Nevertheless, Big Barda's roots are not in doubt. The visual came about shortly after songstress Lainie Kazan posed for Playboy [in October, 1970]...and the characterization between Scott "Mr. Miracle" Free and Barda was based largely — though with tongue in cheek — on the interplay betwixt Jack and his wife Roz."

2 comments:

Jim said...

No doubt about it classy and hot!!

change rubber tracks said...

sexy pix. Sexy everything. I wish I was you. I wish everyone in the world can be as beautiful as you! Beauty is a thing of memory to me. I remember only the beautiful faces in my life and your picture i will definitely remmber! :)

Much Love
-Jennifer

Freshly-stirred links