Monday, August 6, 2007

The Les Humphries Singers - Do I Kill You (1974)

Perhaps a better understanding of proper context would allow this record to make more sense to me, but I doubt it.

The Les Humphries Singers were a large musical 'revue' in the 1970's, based out of Hamburg, (then West) Germany.

Like The Beatles before him, young Les Humphries had traveled from his native England to perform in Hamburg.

Humphries settled there, and formed his big, multi-ethnic, free-spirited chorus. They sang mostly 'good-time' rock covers and rousing pseudo-Gospel numbers.

In 1974, the group appeared in a film, a West German / Spanish / Italian co-production,
'Es knallt - und die Engel singen' (Bang, and the Angels Sing).

It appears the movie was a comedic romp about American prohibition-era gangsters. Perhaps influenced somewhat by the success of The Godfather films, and maybe 1967's 'Bonnie & Clyde' - - ?

The group also performed several songs for the soundtrack, primarily this odd upbeat number,
'(Do You Kill Me Or) Do I Kill You'.

That my copy of this old 45 appears to be a Peruvian pressing didn't help with the confusion in my investigation of the song...

For further info and lots of photos, click over to the
Les Humphries Singers fansite.

You can also follow this link to a TV clip at YouTube of The Les Humphries Singers performing 'Mama Loo' in 1973.

The video clip features lead vocalist John Lawton, who, incongruously, during this same period was dividing his time performing both with the Les Humphries Singers and German prog/hard rock band,
Lucifer's Friend.
In 1976, he would join the group Uriah Heep for a three-year stint, replacing their original lead vocalist.

Listen to: The Les Humphries Singers - Do I Kill You (London Records, 1974)

(click for audio)


Derrick Bostrom said...

I love The Humphries! I love your site almost as much! Here's more on my favorite singing group on my favorite blog:

Nuhman said...

I am a fan of
The Les Humphries Singers
i like your work, keep it up
good luck

Freshly-stirred links