Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pee-Wee Herman Fan Club Membership Kit (1983)

It was likely on the strength of his first TV appearances on the Letterman show that I jumped at the chance to see Pee-Wee Herman perform live in
San Francisco in 1983
.

After that I was sold on P.W., and soon became a proud card-carrying member of the fan club.

I suppose I was already among the faithful when the movies and and the TV show came along.

Here are some scans of the swag that came with the membership...

I framed the autographed photo, and it's been on display ever since. →









Now it can be revealed!
The 'secret' club membership card masquerades as an ordinary business card you can carry in your wallet.

← CLICK on the card to 'unfold' and reveal the club I.D.

(for reasons of club security I've photoshopped out my personal info)

This issue of the 'Pee-Wee Press' newsletter ↓ included appearances from the cast of 'The Pee-Wee Herman Show' stage production, and was the only one I received. Don't know if there were later issues. This one mentions concepts for 'Big Adventure' and 'Pee-Wee's Playhouse' being shopped around, so perhaps things got too busy soon after...

(Follow the link to my recent post: The Pee Wee Herman Show Original Cast Recording)

(Click on newsletter pages to ENLARGE text in a new window ⬇)






(Click on newsletter pages to ENLARGE text in a new window ⬆)

See also: The 'In The News' section above mentions the 'Likely Stories' anthology TV series.
Click here to watch 'School, Girls & You' at YouTube, featuring Paul Reubens in the role of Wally Bile.

6 comments:

josh said...

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting. I see a young Phil Hartman in there as Kap'N Karl

josh said...

Pee Wee mentions a movie called "Summertime" in the first News item. The description doesn't look like Big Adventure? Any idea what this was?

The In Crowd said...

Hi Josh - -

Looks like 'Summertime' became 1984's Meatballs Part II.

I have a very vague recollection of Paul Reubens as the wacky camp bus driver - - ? Was he wearing an old flying helmet? (Memory is a funny thing)

Dana said...

Great...now I'm going to have nightmares.

Anonymous said...

what was pee wee's bike's name?

vandelay said...

Hey! I've still got the fan club photo framed and displayed proudly since 1983! One of my most prized possessions!

Freshly-stirred links