Tuesday, February 19, 2008

John Biggs - Send Me To Glory In a Glad Bag (1979)

Speaking of raising a toast with Pabst, here's a down-homey old novelty tune that remains catchy.

Can't say there's much info to be found about John Biggs or his '79 LP, 'The Roads We Travel'.

Any helpful folk out there who can shed some light?
Leave a comment, drop an
e-mail, and thanks.

- Follow the link to an image of the 45 sleeve with printed song lyrics in a new window.

Listen to:
John Biggs -
Send Me To Glory In a Glad Bag
Blue River Valley 45 (1979)
(click for audio)


DJWildBill said...

Biggs sounds like John Denver on this track. In fact, one could say that Biggs is openly spoofing Denver's spoof of high end funerals vis-a-vis his "Forest Lawn" from "An Evening With John Denver." He did in fact take Denver's spoof to an altogether lower realm and did it with humor and finesse. I give it two thumbs up and six feet down.

Devil Dick said...


Skahan said...

John Biggs gave my husband a My husband was given a cassette tape of "The Roads We Travel" while they attend college at KSU. We both love all the songs on the album. Several years ago, we converted the cassette to CD and wave files. I made several attempts to contact John Biggs, but with no luck.

All the songs on the album are fabulous.

Home is another day away
Wonder as a Wander
Glory in a Glad Bag
Love Has no Boundry
Fiddle and Pickin II
Places, Feeling Free
One Time Thing
The Roads We Travel

Kate said...

I came across this blog looking for a reference to this song for a friend.
John Biggs used to do workshops/concerts at Cottey College in SW Missouri back when I was a student in the early '80s. I have this album, had copied it onto cassette years ago, but the cassette has disappeared, and I don't have a turntable to copy it again. I miss playing this album. Skahan, if you have a way to send me the file, I would be forever in your debt!

BTW, I don't think this song is a John Biggs original.

Anonymous said...

I saw him perform the songs on his 1979 album while a student at Monmouth College in IL back in 1980. Does anyone know if the tracks are available for download, anywhere? I am pretty sure John Biggs lives somewhere in Kansas from a reply I received from a recording studio where he had at one time recorded, although they haven't seen him for about 4-5 years.

wes said...

I remember John from his coffee house days in the midwest in 1974-1976. He played at Washburn in Topeka one of those years and my wife and I worked the concert as security/gofers. At the end of the evening, John gave us an autographed copy of the album. We still have it.
FYI, I understand that John's brother is the current secretary of state in Kansas.

Sure wish John was still playing in the area. Would love to take my high schoolers to hear him.

Cajon Claire said...

Love this song! A fond memory of my days at KSU where I saw John Biggs perform numerous times. A college buddy of mine plays harmonica on "Send Me to Glory". How cool is that!

Allison Sack said...

A friend of mine told me about this. My friend played harmonica on this album, and said it made Dr. Demento's #6 worst song of all time in 1984 or so. It's hilarious!

Scott said...

I still have the album he gave me for helping set up his gig at Monmouth College in 1979.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could find the rest of the tracks have a signed LP from Emporia State U in 1982

Anonymous said...

The song was created by a cadre of folks from the Lawrence, KS area, and will be performed by its authors along with John Biggs and the Alferd Packer Memorial String Band (which includes me, another Cottey College student from the 80s) tonight (7 November, 2015) at the Jackpot Saloon in Lawrence.

Here's the notice:

John Biggs, Kansas City Hustle, Alferd Packer Memorial String Band: A Celebration of the Folk Process
November 7th Jackpot Saloon, 943 Mass, Lawrence, KS, 7:00 to 9:00

“Send Me to Glory in a Glad Bag” was written 40 years ago, it’s time for a party! John Biggs, the first one to record “Glad Bag”, in 1978, and who’s version hit the all-time top 25 on the Dr Demento Show, will perform at 7:00. Kansas City Hustle, a hot young bluegrass band, none of whom were born 40 years ago, will play at 7:40. The Alferd Packer Memorial String Band will perform at 8:15. At 8:45 the Packers will be joined on stage by the many authors of Send Me to Glory in a Glad Bag, each singing the verses that they have added over the years (who should all contact ask.a.luthier@gmail.com to tell me their favorite Key and any special instructions).
Please join us!


Unknown said...

You can check out his Facebook page. He is starting live shows with his brother and other musicians.

Freshly-stirred links