Sunday, November 9, 2008

The casual elegance of Pepsi; 1958 print ad

Pearls. An ascot.
Striped trousers and floral prints.

Lounging on the free-standing column spiral staircase and sipping Pepsi out of the bottle.

Good times...

(click on image to ENLARGE in a new window)



ADDENDUM, 11.10.08: A commenter on this post ventured a guess that perhaps the artist responsible for this ad may have been Austin Briggs, who'd worked in a similar style and had done ads for Pepsi around the same time.

I can certainly see similarities, but I see some marked differences, too.

Casting about the web, I found that commercial illustration authority Leif Peng has gathered together many such Pepsi ads from the era in a flickr set - - including this one.

As Peng has classified this ad as 'illustrator unknown', I think that's our answer - - for now...

- - Anything to add, anyone?

6 comments:

Laura Linger said...

That is so GORGEOUS.

I tell you, I was born several decades too late (I was born in 1970).

The In Crowd said...

Well, Laura, I know what you mean, ('63 for me) and it's something I think about too, but I think that perhaps it's another case of previous decades looking greener from the other side of the fence.

The Eisenhower years, for instance sound like a pretty dreary time to live through - - despite rock & roll and cool jazz, etc.

Personally, I know for damn sure that I don't miss the inescapable second-hand tobacco smoke of previous decades.

Mostly I think I'm missing the space-age utopian future that I was promised as a kid...

Preston said...

What a great retro ad. But I think that guy is enjoying watching her drink that Pepsi just a little too much...

marksparky said...

Austin Briggs was one of the foremost ad artists working in the 50;s--big on shallow or flat perspective and big on textures. Don't know if this is his, but looks a lot like his Coke ads from the late 50s.

The In Crowd said...

Hey Mr. Sparky - -

Thanks for your comment. It inspired me to google about for some answers.

Take a look at the addendum I've tacked on to the post...

larryepke said...

Is the guy trying to look up the dress of the woman ascending the stairs?

Freshly-stirred links