Saturday, April 25, 2009

Help keep those cherubs neat-looking (1947 print ad)

(Click on image to ENLARGE in a new window)

As it happens, the world in which we're living has made me so cynical and jaded that I can't look at this vintage, post WWII charitable plea without being amused.

I've become conditioned to read the term 'altar boy' as the set-up to a punch line.
How about you?

It doesn't help that my ignorant heathen curiosity is piqued by the mention of exotic cassocks and surplices - - to say nothing of trying to imagine really 'getting' the differences between dalmatics and chasubles and simars.

A rochet? The mozzetta??

Cinctures and tippets and albs! Oh my!!

Learn something new every day...
(ignorant heathen apologies available by request)

5 comments:

dyanna said...

I lick your blog.I'm waiting for your new posts.

Timmy said...

I was an altar boy, back when I was enrolled in Catholic school, say around 1961-1968. I never was privied to any Fatherly Love or even heard rumours about such hyjinks, I resigned my post around the time I became rebellious & drug-seduced during 1969. Acid saved me from a fate worse than The Devil...

baikinange said...

Pretty bad cut & paste of the kid's head on an adult body--he looks freakishly tall and the hands are wrong too.

Kevin Kidney said...

Holy Alter Boy! I love this!

Donna Lethal said...

I'm glad it makes you amused because it sends a shudder down my spine!

Freshly-stirred links