Sunday, May 2, 2010

El Bandito Jalapeno con El Accesorio Prominente, and other Taqueria Folk Art in San Francisco

Walking along Mission Street in San Francisco on a recent afternoon, I did a serious double-take while passing by a colorful taqueria.
Visible through the open door of El Gran Taco Loco is this ▼ memorable image, painted on the wall...

Wow. So many questions.
Not just the jalapeno's 'stem', but the taco's eyeglasses, the gun - -
- - What exactly are we witness to in this scene?

Immediately I cursed myself for not having my camera with me.
Thinking about it this morning, I decided that others before me must have documented this fascinating piece of artwork.
- - And sure enough, that's just how amazing the internet is.

- Click here for another view of the above image. Larger, slightly different angle. (Source)

All of the images in this post come from the home page of Burritoeater.com, a site providing a valuable public service, having reviewed (and "mustache-rated") over 725 burritos (so far) all around the City and County of San Francisco, California.











I loves me a good burrito AND being transfixed by art, so clearly, there's much to explore...

(click on images to enlarge in a new window)











7 comments:

Jukeboxmafia said...

I love these... Thanks!

Timmy said...

Chili art is a not too recognized artform. I am gald to see it has many followers. However, some of these images here, seem to be of a lard fetish. That's weird.

Preston said...

Wow, you always find the best stuff. (And some of those images are truly disturbing.)

Karswell said...

Awww, baby flauta and baby torta are so cute... I just wanna eat them up!

michael vee said...

Hi my friend,

I just wanted to let you know that I’ve put some of the tracks kindly posted by you on my latest installment of my '60s (mostly) uncomped'-series (with info, pics & links to the Bloggers in the booklet attached); you’ll find it at http://michaelvee.livejournal.com. Thanks a lot for posting and I hope you’ll enjoy my selection.

Cheers from Milano!

Anonymous said...

FYI -- the image in the "Jimmy The Corn Man" photo is the logo for Casa Sanchez tortilla chips. Some years back they made an offer to anybody getting this image tattooed in some visible place that they could get their products for free for life. They didn't reckon with the willingness of San Francisco hipsters for A) getting body art and B) getting free food. They quickly had to discontinue the offer as many inked folks started claiming free stuff.

--
Bruce T.

jangojim said...

great post, I took so many pictures of murals and handpainted signs when I was in the mission

Freshly-stirred links