Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Wham! and the hazards of auto-reverse cassettes: 1986 news item

When this small news item appeared in the San Francisco Chronicle on August 1st, 1986, vocalist George Michael was already beginning work on his solo career, following the break-up of Wham! a couple of months earlier.

I'll give young Gordon Pickrell the benefit of the doubt, and guess that his car crash had nothing to do with any reaction to the news of Michael's professional split with former singing partner, Andrew 'The Other Guy' Ridgeley.

7 comments:

Dupuy said...

How incredibly bizarre.
I don't get it... if Gordon Pickrell owned the Wham! tape, then why would he have a problem with it playing over and over again?
Personally, I could listen to Everything She Wants all day and never get sick of it.

Skipper Bartlett said...

Ha, ha ! That is brilliant, reminds me of a time when I was a teenager and I ejected and tossed my friends "Footloose" OST cassette out the window. He was a wreckless driver and my argument was that I didn't want to die listening to such crap.

allie said...

Ha , Ha/ This is my brother that is the subject of your blog. How incredibly funny. He never listened to Wham again. This is nuts crazy. He is the best brother in the world. Peace be with you.

allie said...

And he was/ is not a wreckless driver. And he was 18. enough said.

Colleen! said...

I'm the total opposite, I would love to die listening to Wham! They are my favorite duo of all time. I <3 George Michael and I don't care if he's 30 years older than me.

bmw auto parts said...

I would definitely love to have listened to them in my car. Regardless of what happened may the one above have mercy on us all, but if its the choice of variety that i like to hear in music, then heck, Im Listenin' To It!

discomagnet said...

That story is so funny. Wham on repeat! Poor bugger

Freshly-stirred links